It is a rainy day on Cape Cod, this day before Thanksgiving, and I could not be happier. This year has brought so much change and we are in a very different place today than one year ago. I am having tea and a muffin this morning in my studio, preparing for an upcoming show, relaxed and anticipating a great couple of days ahead. Tomorrow we will have family and friends and dogs and lots and lots of good food. We are blessed. Here is my short list as I think about all of this today:
- I am beyond blessed to have a wonderful husband and 3 strong, caring and curious kids – adults now. Each is different and all are funny, insightful, gentle, aspirational and encouraging. Beyond our little circle are sisters and brothers far away for both Frank and I, nieces and nephews, and great nieces and nephews galore. What a life!
- Friends. Many who have known me well and continue to invest their friendship. Treasures all.
- Painting – what a privilege in this life. To see color and light and be able to play with it. It is a luxury of time and learning and constant entertainment. My mind continually makes paintings – my brushes not so much – can’t keep up. And yet, I feel honored to have the desire and the lifelong motivation to learn and learn and learn.
- Work. I am so thankful for work that allows me to stretch and think about new ways to learn each day. My time at Bentley University has been a great and welcome challenge.
- Faith. It has been a lifelong journey – one that has shifted and changed, been challenged and stood the test, pushes me to be better, stretches me to drop all judgment and care well for people in my path, taught me to be quiet and mindful, continues to sustain me, fills me with joy.
- Health. So far, so good.
I know that for some friends this time this year is not particularly happy or welcome. I know that each of us will have seasons that are less blessed – hard and heavy. But not this year – for me I’ll experience joy when I can and store up, shape memories, hoard experiences and sights and senses – to carry forward. Wishing all a very special time this season in whatever way you find it.